Our History

Mystic Arts Center began under the leadership of nationally recognized landscape painter, American Tonalist and Impressionist Charles Harold Davis who, in 1913, came to Mystic followed by some of his peers to settle and paint along the Mystic River. The members of the artist colony organized the Mystic Art Association in 1913. The Association built and opened the Water Street art gallery in 1931, and accepted its first permanent art collection, donated by the widow of Charles Davis in 1933.

In 1979, the Mystic Art Association, evolved into “an educational non-profit, non-stock corporation…” known for fostering an appreciation of Mystic’s early artists and their works. In 2004, the Board of Trustees and membership voted to have the Mystic Art Association, Inc. operate under the trade name of Mystic Arts Center (MAC) to more accurately reflect the organization’s mission to serve the community.


MEET THE STAFF>